So… you got hitched! Yeah … yeah… festival season h
as just passed by when you got to spend some quality time with that someone special. What better time to make the big decision and take a step forward to propose to your loved one than on Christmas or New Year? Incidentally, my husband Vipul and I first met on the Christmas eve, got engaged on January 5th and got married on Valentine’s Day. So, a big CONGRATULATIONS first of all, to you and your fiancé! But let me tell you, you’re not alone! Did you know that most marriage proposals in the US happen during the festival season? And that means that many of them are already into the planning mode for their big day, meeting planners, considering venues, surfing through dresses. So, while you’ve got reasons to be excited, you also need to start thinking, if not worrying, about planning your wedding soon. On an average, planning a wedding takes about a year, and can take as many as two years or more, depending on how grand you want it to be. Of course, there are short-cuts, but they are just that – short-cuts, not how you’d want your wedding to be!
So what takes so much time? Here are some of the key things that will help you understand why planning a wedding well in advance is important:
– Venue: If you’re stuck up on the venue of your choice, and rightly so, you don’t want to learn close to your wedding date that the venue is already booked! Would you settle for an alternative? Probably no. I did not. I could not! It is therefore wise to book the venue much in advance, since every other element revolves around it.
– Your wedding dress: You’d be lucky if you already have your heart set on a specific wedding dress, and luckier if you fit perfectly into it already. From selecting a dress, to getting it ready to the final ‘T’, it takes several weeks if not months. You’d also want to give your fiancé, and other family members time to select outfits of their choice.
– Guest List: You may have reasons to believe you have this one sorted out, but you’ll spend weeks on finalizing this one. Try it!
– Wedding Planner: While this one should feature on the top, it is important to understand the above as to why a wedding planner needs to be given time to make your wedding day just as you like it. But practically, this is where you should start – give a call to a planner you can trust. The gourmet Kitchen Catering has been working with some of the most renowned and reliable wedding planners in the region. Please feel free to get in touch with me for suggestions.
– Menu: This one’s my favorite, obviously! Food is undisputedly one of the key factors that determine the success of a wedding / party. You want to make the right choice when it comes to wedding catering. We work with you and your wedding planner for weeks to understand your preferences and the theme of your wedding, and preparing for it. As our tagline ‘We cook in your language’ suggests, we ensure that what we serve and how we serve will make your guests remember your wedding day for a long, long time!
– Planning your honeymoon: This ain’t no regular holiday you’d be going for. And you’d want it to be a memorable experience, to say the least. Even if you have your mind set on a destination, you’d still need to work out the itinerary and details, with some surprises thrown in.
– Shopping, invites, rehearsals, photo-shoot, counseling, and a zillion other things: The list is long, and time-consuming. PHEW!
The purpose of this post is not to scare you, but to alert you to start planning for the big day much in advance to avoid stress at the last minute (not good for the camera, I tell you). So, a good starting point is to pick up a notebook, mark your wedding date and start thinking backwards. Enjoy the journey!